Sunday 22 September 2013

Day 31, 64km: (by Amy)

Our route up into the mountains unfortunately had a big tunnel on it (3.5km). The problem with the tunnels is that the noise and proximity of the traffic is terrifying. We decided for safety to walk along the drainage covers at the edge (a sort of raised pavement) slightly away from the trucks. Unlike a pavement, bits of the cover were missing meaning we kept having to stop and lift the bikes over gaping holes in the dark unlit tunnel. About 2 thirds of the way through the covers disintegrated entirely. We bit the bullet pulled our bikes onto the road and made a break for the exit thankfully before the next volley of trucks.
After this I was hoping for no more tunnels for the day but unfortunately another smaller tunnel (1km) arrived just a few hours later. The map showed it was possible to take the old road around which I was strongly in favour of. Unfortunately the old road disappeared under a huge landslide around the corner. As I made my way  back to the dreaded tunnel I slipped on a stream running across the road sending the bike from under me and landing me in a pile of slime on my bum. Several children came out of the closest house to see if I was ok. Chris helped me up and re-attached my trailer. As I was a soggy, fed up and spelt like a ditch we stopped at a guesthouse in a village soon after. We had to move rooms because the first room we were put in had a floater in the toilet that wouldn't flush away. Chris showed the proprietress which made her giggle. Once in our new room we were handed candles and a pomegranate as compensation ( there was no electricity).

No comments:

Post a Comment