Sunday 3 November 2013

Day 67, 73km: by Chris

         Amy struggles out of the trees where we camped:

We continued down the 'off piste' track which Amy considered dubious, but I enjoyed. We entered a valley dominated by banana and tea plantations, clucking poultry, wooden shacks and people in wide-brimmed hats. The road was steep, short ups and downs.

 In the afternoon I was behind Amy and came upon a man and his dog. The dog was walking around with a puppy hanging out if its rear bits by its neck and the man was waddling around after it waiting to catch the puppy in a cardboard box should it drop out. I stopped to observe, but the pup was not dropping out anytime soon. I frantically tried to remember all my obstetrics training and then wondered if it was applicable to dogs. Deciding I couldn't stand around and do nothing, I got stuck in: We got the dog on its side and tried to manipulate the puppies head. A minute later it popped out. daddy must have been a large animal - the puppy was big for the little yellow dog and looked like a friesian cow. After several tense minutes and lots of stimulation it started to breathe and squeak. This was my first delivery as first paramedic on scene.

My first delivery in the field:
 
 We reached a main road and stopped at the next town where we found a cheap truckers motel and ate at an empty Chinese, Chinese takeaway. The veggie options were limited to bean sprouts or spinach, but we managed to persuade them to cook us lots of eggs. Although this didn't seem to be the done thing, we deserved our eggs because the novelty of some funny looking foreigners had drawn in dozens of locals to eat as an excuse to watch the queer folk.

No comments:

Post a Comment